A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   
O   P

Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z   #

dreambible.com • View topic - Army tanks and finding safety

Army tanks and finding safety

Get your dreams interpreted or talk about anything related to dreams. Someone will be around to help you.

Army tanks and finding safety

Postby Samoyed Lover on March 2nd, 2011, 1:50 am

I had the following very clear dream last night; it's still very vivid. Most of my dreams are quite vivid and detailed. I've written a number of them down but have never sought to interpret them yet. Maybe knowing how to interpret the following one may spur me into doing some analysis ;) .

I dream that I'm in a large room that has a gray linoleum floor and a mirrored wall. It's at the basement level but has small windows up high on the wall across from the mirrored wall, through which comes daylight. The room is used for ballroom dancing. It seems that I've just finished a ballroom dancing class (in real life, I've never done ballroom dancing, nor have ever wanted to, and neither have I ever dreamt of ballroom dancing before), and the participants are leaving. I'm dressed in 1940s or early 1950s style, in a pencil skirt that's light grey and made of wool and comes down to below the knee, and a short-sleeved, short sweater of soft grey wool, with some type of floral decoration near the collar. I'm wearing flat shoes. In the dream, I sense I'm glad to be wearing them, because I can walk better/quicker when I go up the stairs to the street; they're more practical than high heels.

In the dream, I'm slimmer than in real life, like what I used to be until my late 40s. (I'm currently in my late 50s). Once out of the building, I'm up on the sidewalk, on a busy street in a large, “generic” West European city; it could be something like a major French or German city. (My family is French and I've lived in France, and I also lived two decades in Germany, from the 70s to the 90s. I've been living back in the USA for over 12 years.) Somehow my ex-husband (ex-husband in real life, who is German—we were divorced about 27 years ago, and I've been married to my American husband for 23 years, now) suddenly appears, as if we were supposed to be meeting there, just as acquaintances or friends. There's no animosity or any negative feelings towards him in the dream, nor sentimental feelings towards him; just a recognition that he's basically a decent person, to whom I was once married, can trust, and whom I'm meeting for whatever, unknown reason now. We set out walking, crossing a street. He walks faster and soon is way, way ahead, not looking back, walking with purpose. It has started raining, and all of a sudden I have a raincoat on, which, in the dream, I realize is very practical. My head isn't covered and is getting wet, but it doesn't bother me. I pick up the pace, again thankful for the flat shoes.

I'm walking along a very large, wide boulevard and think I'll find somewhere to get out of the rain at some point. The boulevard looks something like the Champs Elysees in Paris, but with more trees and less buildings, more like one of the boulevards radiating out from the Arc of Triumph, or one of the tree-lined boulevards in Berlin. I can still see my ex-husband way ahead. He's wearing a bright blue rain parka (he used to have one in real life). All of a sudden, and simultaneously, I hear “heavy” rumblings coming from ahead, way beyond him, and see him stop in his tracks as he looks at what's in the distance. I realize (as he does) that the rumbling is from army tanks rolling down the boulevard towards us and the other pedestrians. There also seem to be some armed foot soldiers walking beside the tanks. I'm not scared; instead, I feel myself getting into “survival mode”--meaning, I start becoming more keenly alert of surroundings and seeking to pay attention to important details that may help me deal with the situation in a sensible, reasonable manner (in all my dreams about “survival,” this is always how I react; somehow I'm never panicked, scared, or disoriented, although in real life, I don't think I react with as much common sense and “aplomb”).

I see and hear my ex-husband, a bit agitated but with self control, suddenly saying (he's still facing forward—hasn't turned around towards me or other people), “To the left! Go to the left!” (He says this in English; in real life, he speaks very good English). He stretches out his left arm, pointing towards the left. I understand that he's trying to warn everyone that they need to seek shelter and disappear from the tanks. In the dream, I think in that split second that it's just like him to want to take action and help handle situations. The crowd of pedestrians seems to follow his advice and move like a wave towards the left, where all of a sudden there are some big stone buildings, like old government/public administration buildings you find in big European cities. Beyond the buildings, through rounded archways, I can see some green courtyards. I follow the crowd towards the buildings, expecting the tanks to fire from their cannons at any moment, although that doesn't happen. I still am not afraid; I just want to get away from what could become a more dangerous situation. I reach for my cellphone in the pocket of the raincoat, apparently wanting to call my ex-husband (who is now nowhere to be seen), so that one can coordinate and plan what to do next. However, I realize and curse to myself that I don't have his phone number programmed into the cell phone and therefore have no way of contacting him.

The scene then changes; I'm in one of the buildings, in some type of room that has a low ceiling, squeezed among a crowd of people, who are slowly panicking. No one seems to know what to do or how long we should stay there. I have the overwhelming urge to get out of that room, thinking that squeezed and immobile in that room, we're like sitting ducks and that one risks being covered in ruins if the tanks decide to bomb the building. In the dream, I think there's far more chance to survive if I'm on my own (or, at the most, with someone else as extra eyes/ears, whom one can trust) AND outside the building, where I will have freedom of movement and can be more aware of what's going on and can react accordingly. I'm totally in survival mode, like many people were/are during WWII or some other war/conflict. Thereupon, in the dream, at the edge of that crowded room, I somehow find a door through which I squeeze myself. No one from the room follows me. I think to myself that they're like sheep. I find myself in a stone stairwell. I go up some steps to what must be the next floor. There's a closed door, the top of which doesn't reach the frame, so you can peer over the top edge of the door, like a saloon door. I peer over it and see an austere stone-slabbed landing from which stairs going up and another set of stairs going down can be seen. There are doors on three sides of the landing. In the dream, I sense that this being a government building, the doors lead to offices, and I sense that there are people—maybe military officers—busy in those rooms.

I listen for sounds, to detect if anyone may be coming out of the rooms or coming up/down the stairs. I fully expect to see people in military attire, like German officers, appearing, but no one does. My plan is to take the stairs down if the coast is clear—or to duck out of sight back into the stairwell, if I spot someone. Then, however, all of a sudden, the scene changes, and I'm just outside the building, in the courtyard. I feel glad to be out in the fresh air and am about to plan what I need to do next to get to safety undetected, but that's when I woke up—when my clock alarm goes off!!! I woke up really disappointed that I wasn't able to pursue the dream.
Samoyed Lover
Dream Lover

Re: Army tanks and finding safety

Postby chase on March 3rd, 2011, 1:10 pm

The dream is a bit long and complicated. However, to dream of a raincoat represents your personality you face and attempt to shield yourself from difficulty, disappointment, sadness, or depression. You are resisting something unpleasant.

Can you give us some background information about your life right now? Current fears, frustrations, or problems?
chase
Dream Expert

Return to General Dream Discussion