A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   
O   P

Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z   #

dreambible.com • View topic - Lucidity enabled abilities and possibilities. Discuss

Lucidity enabled abilities and possibilities. Discuss

Discuss Lucid Dreaming Experiences And Techniques. Talk to other people about how to control your dreams.

Lucidity enabled abilities and possibilities. Discuss

Postby DamianWolff on July 2nd, 2012, 2:28 pm

On my experience I often get too attached to the characters and plots of my dreams to let go of them even after I realize I'm sleeping.
Also notable that my subconsciousness is usually quick to incorporate my lucidity into the dream. At least on two recent occasions after I realized everything was a dream a different character convinced me that while it was a dream, it doesn't mean it's my dream.
False awakenings are also an issue, and occasionally are realistic enough to have me believe I woke up from a lucid dream until I actually do in reality.

But if I manage to stick to my knowledge that everything around me is a dream, it enables me to do some serious stuff:

- incredible jumping ability. It never comes easy as it actually feels like I'm breaking a whole set of dream laws while doing so and requires some concentration.
- pulling items out of thin air. Again, requires plenty of concentration and is not guaranteed to work the first time around. Never had much interest for firearms, but motorcycles and swords proved to be quite useful. Among other stuff.
- dreamscape shifting - one of the easiest and the most useless to me, unless I don't care at all about the location, plot and characters of the dream. For me shifting the dream requires nothing more then closing my eyes and giving everything a slight push. But it changes the dream entirely. Controlling the changes, however, is tough, but fruitful. However yet again I tend to loose all the characters and the thread of the plot in process.
- teleportation. Insofar probably the hardest thing to pull, as it usually involves changing the location of my character in the dreamscape, along with the angle of observation, while keeping all details intact and in their places. Jumping is easier.
- gliding. A piece of cake, but gliding is just that. You're slowly going down. Maybe over a long distance, but still down.
- flying - used to be hard, until I kinda merged it with gliding. The higher I go, the more my speed decreases and the harder it is to maintain flight. The closer am to the ground the higher is my speed, to the point where mere meters from the ground I'm flying at massive speeds, with enough inertia to launch me sky high should I direct myself upwards. Thus my flying in dreams resembles a truly crazy roller coaster ride.
- pushing myself through walls. Don't use this often, but has never failed me when I tried it while lucid. Still pretty hard, but doesn't feel like I need much mental concentration.
- pushing characters out of the dream. Doesn't require much effort beyond "physical", but once I push unwanted characters out of my field of vision - they are gone.
- waking up. My way is to close eyes in the dream and try hard to open them, while keeping them shut. Usually ends up with me opening eyes in reality. Not the best possible way of proving to some character that everything is just a dream, though. Kinda moot in itself. This was my first way of manipulating dreams and checking if I was asleep.

And, of course, there is the knowledge that all is permitted. That opens a lot of opportunities in it self.

So, what do you do with your lucidity?
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Re: Lucidity enabled abilities and possibilities. Discuss

Postby chase on July 2nd, 2012, 3:25 pm

I often find my lucidity to be completely out of my control. When I do have control it's usually short lived or I find that I only believe I have control because when I wake I realize that I probably wouldn't have chosen what I was experiencing.

The one time remember having control over my lucidity I created a hammer out of thin air with my mind and then willed Carmen Electra naked on the spot to have sex with.

In your case many of the lucid experiences sound like you are experiencing excitement, drama, or freedom in your waking life.
chase
Dream Expert

Postby DamianWolff on July 2nd, 2012, 4:13 pm

chase wrote:In your case many of the lucid experiences sound like you are experiencing excitement, drama, or freedom in your waking life.

I am sorry, but just wondering what drew you to those conclusions. I kinda figured that lucid experiences depend on your will and capability to determine that you're sleeping alone.
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Postby chase on July 2nd, 2012, 5:53 pm

It's based on symbolism. As a researcher I study large numbers of people's dreams and interview them about their lives. I generally find most symbolism reflects similar situations for most people.

Personally, I've found the idea of lucid dreaming to be a myth. The high degree control we believe we have in a lucid dream I've found is actually a reflection of our waking life desire to do these things in a dream while we're awake. For example, my dream of making a hammer out of thin air and seeing Carmen Electra happened because I told my myself while I was awake that I wanted to experience it in a dream. So the mind then reflects it in sleep, especially if it's the most significant thing in my life that day. This is why professional or famous lucid dreamers are so successful, because they don't do anything all day except want to tell themselves they want to dream something.

The level of lucidity itself varies based on how high the levels of acetylcholine are in the blood due to diet, vitamins, or stress.
chase
Dream Expert

Postby DamianWolff on July 3rd, 2012, 8:20 am

That's an interesting idea, one that easily explains some of the quirks lucid dreamers experience despite being in control, but there is this one bit from my personal experiences that makes it hard for me to completely take this theory to heart.

At least based on personal experiences, lucidity drastically changes my perception of the dream, something that doesn't occur during normal dreaming. Specifically, when having an ordinary dream I experience the dreamscape through my character who tends to act in favour of what I want, but is not under my control, and through myself as an observer of the dream, whose thought and desires may or may not influence my characters action, When lucid I tend to have actual control of the character, and I stop internally separating him from myself. It is also during lucidity that I am able to appreciate just how bizarre some parts of the dream are.

But again I am no researcher, so I might be mistaken on the part. For all I know, there might be an explanation to what I just described.
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Postby chase on July 3rd, 2012, 8:48 am

In my experience having a higher degree of lucidity, if it's not due to increased acetylcholine uptake, is usually a symbol for surprise or disbelief that something is happening to you in waking life. You are experiencing something that is more than you expected.

If you are not experiencing any exciting, dramatic, or surprising situations these lucid dreams may in fact be symbols for your thoughts about the last amazing lucid dream you had.

Either way, I would need to see some of your recent dreams with some background information about what's been on your mind the most around the time of the dream to really show you what I'm saying.
chase
Dream Expert

Postby DamianWolff on July 3rd, 2012, 9:06 am

The most recent dream, interestingly enough, neither had me experiencing lucidity, nor had any of the characters I mentioned in it. Would that do, though?
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Postby chase on July 3rd, 2012, 11:55 am

I would just post them in new thread if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.
chase
Dream Expert

Postby Mike_from_Can. on May 28th, 2014, 4:19 am

Hello, all my dreams are very lucid always dream in color with smells sound.
As well as my visions are the same.

Mike
In A Dream, In A Vision of the Night Job 33:15-18
I am a born-again Christian
Love the Lord
Working on starting a through his word healing ministry
Mike_from_Can.
Dream Guide

Postby jededaiha on July 16th, 2014, 3:06 pm

I've always wished I could have lucid dreams, the idea of having a certain level of control of my dreaming state always facinated me! I read all of the posts above although I would still like to believe it to be true and possible despite the research given, no offense meant.

If there were to be a method as to how to obtain this 'control' over ones dreams, what would it be? How can I go about to actually realise I'm in a dream when I'm dreaming? I only recall a handful of lucid dreams in my past experience and all by mere accident. My favorite so far stays the ability to fly though.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards
jededaiha
Dream Lover

Postby dreamer5896 on September 1st, 2014, 8:24 pm

These dreams are very interesting. People are having so many good dreams! At least they're positive, ha +
dreamer5896
Dream Lover

Postby dreamgardener on June 5th, 2016, 11:25 am

Hi Damian (& Hi all!), there's a book I would suggest reading, The Art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda.
dreamgardener
Dream Lover

Return to Lucid Dreaming