A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   
O   P

Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z   #

dreambible.com • View topic - Reocurring locations, characters and themes in Dreams

Reocurring locations, characters and themes in Dreams

Get your dreams interpreted or talk about anything related to dreams. Someone will be around to help you.

Reocurring locations, characters and themes in Dreams

Postby DamianWolff on July 2nd, 2012, 12:27 pm

For the past year I have been writing a dream diary, and so far the experience has proven to be most interesting.
However I have noticed that there are certain elements that are proving to be quite persistent and tend to reoccur every now and then.

First and foremost, the locations. While my dreams tend to be quite rich in imagery and can produce landscape of true wonder, whenever the plot of the dream leads me into a city, it usually is one of the two variations. The first one I have come to call the Day City. I call it that because it is not just bright and sunny in there, but the light seems to be pouring into the streets from above, looking almost solid at times. Day City consists of two squares and 3-4 street, with lots of trees and flowerbeds to be found, made of mostly 4-5 stories buildings built in what I think is the baroque style. There are usually a couple of shops, a theater, a railway station, a library and a open air cinema in there, and more often then not they are pretty static in terms of location. It's about 4-5 minutes to cross the Day City from one end to another.
It has many alleys leading out of it, and while the Day City itself doesn't seem to correspond to any place I've actually been to, those roads and alleys lead to random or plot-related places I have actually been to, like the street where I grew up, my old school, university grounds, other real life places.

I have a map of the Day City, but it wouldn't let me post the link to it though
I hope I won't get banned if I try - i072.radikal.ru/1207/60/42fd09a7511b.jpg

And then there is Night City. Sometimes the events of the dream start there, sometimes I get to Night City through one of the side alleys in Day City, sometimes vice versa. Just as often it simply takes for night to fall on the Day City or any other similar location in my dream for it to morph into Night City.
Night City doesn't have any geography I could pin down. It sprawls in all directions, with its narrow cobbled streets, alleys, tunnels. Buildings of unnatural yet still geometric shapes spreading in all directions, coming together and apart, all while engulfed in shadows and poorly lit with street lights. While Day City is saturated with colour, the colour palette of Night City can be narrowed down to black and amber. Most of the city is engulfed in shadows, but there are also streetlights which give off feint amber light, enough to provide contrast and make me and my dream characters find his way. Sometimes Night City is empty, except for my character, sometimes its streets are crowded with people. It's a maze either way, but interestingly enough my character never has any trouble navigating. Same as with any other maze-like location I come across. Here is what I drew in paint some time after I started recoding my dream, for clarity - s45.radikal.ru/i109/1207/57/f9b5760591fb.jpg

There are also two characters that I tend to come across again and again. The first one is a tall, slim girl with long frizzy raven-black hair, large bright green eyes, a pretty little turned-up and dark full lips. She usually wears an evening dress, black or white, with a rather prominent cleavage. In my dreams I usually either see her sitting at a round cafe table looking at me from afar (just as a background detail, not related to the dreams plot), or I'm chasing her through the landscape.

The second character is also female, but entirely different in appearance and role. While the brunette is almost the same height as me, this girl almost a full head shorter. She is noticeably more athletic that the brunette, and not as dark in complexion. He has a short, somewhat tom-boyish, choppy haircut, and the hair itself is dyed purple, except for several locks on the front which are pink. She has blue eyes, and doesn't use any cosmetics. Her closing is mostly practical, usually sweatpants or jeans and a singlet. She appears about as often as the other character, but she is easier to remember because she always interacts with my characters. We talk, occasionally she comes to my characters' aid, on occasion I help her. On at least two occasions plots of the dreams have been derailed because I was to busy chatting with her about something.

I thought I would talk about themes too, but I have already written quite a bit and would feel really luck to get some responses to that.
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Re: Reocurring locations, characters and themes in Dreams

Postby chase on July 2nd, 2012, 3:33 pm

Cities in dreams usually symbolize social interaction with other people. The changing day and night scenerios may reflect your awareness of yourself during these social interactions when they are very good (day) and not so good (night).

Perhaps, the dreams are reflecting a relationship you are enjoying that has it's bad moments.

Women in dreams usually symbolize 1 of two things. First if they are very sexually attractive they can represent your desire for something to happen. Second they may reflect an aspect of yourself that is feminine symbolically such as being sensitive or that's powerless to assert itself. It can also reflect being used, screwed over, or being subordinate.

Large breasts usually reflect power so the one woman with large breasts may symbolize how noticeable some aspect of your life is. If you are chasing her in dreams it may mean that you desire something you can't seem to achieve at the moment.

The other less appealing girl may reflect an alternative to the goal you can't seem achieve. A more realistic goal or way of living. That's why she talks to other characters in the dream a lot more than the other. Because this more realistic part of you is always more apparent in your life.
chase
Dream Expert

Postby DamianWolff on July 2nd, 2012, 4:38 pm

I find both girls tremendously appealing. And I don't recall the purple haired girl talking to anyone else beside my character (my avatar) in the dream. The brest size is the same with both girls, I think, and is rather modest. It's just that the brunette draws more attention to her breast with the low cleavage.

Something about the cities. The more fun stuff usually happens in the Night City. Day City is simply calm and... sunny, I guess.
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Postby chase on July 2nd, 2012, 5:24 pm

To really know more about what the dream means we've had to know a bit more about you or your relationships.
chase
Dream Expert

Postby DamianWolff on July 3rd, 2012, 7:11 am

As of last three years I'm not pursuing any, to the point of politely turning down a few. I've had plenty of girlfriends before, mainly because I've never been any good at staying in the friend zone.
The past three years I spent simply studying and working, first finishing college, now pursuing university.
On the record, I had dreams of both locations and both characters quite a bit from before that, although they seem to have aged with me.
I've been dreaming of the Night City for as long as I can remember. Day City shaped in it's current form about 5-6 years ago, I'd guess, judging from the date on the sketch of it I made.
The brunette is a character from the same time, I think.
I'm trying to think of anything that changed with my life back then, but all the difficult and/or exciting stuff began only a year later.
The purple haired girl has been in my dreams as far as I can remember really, because I remember her from back when I had nightmares, and that must have been at least 9 years ago.
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Postby chase on July 3rd, 2012, 8:25 am

Do you have any recurring problems or dramatic situations in your life?
chase
Dream Expert

Postby DamianWolff on July 3rd, 2012, 8:56 am

To the best of my knowledge - no, not really.
I did spent a big part of my life improving low self esteem by crawling out of my skin to be as good as it gets at anything I was involved in, be it education, sports, etc, and I used to constantly dare myself into communicating with people, to overcome shyness, and that seems to have work quite well for me. So yeah. There is that.
DamianWolff
Dream Lover

Postby chase on July 3rd, 2012, 11:54 am

How is work or school?
chase
Dream Expert

Return to General Dream Discussion